Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!


What an amazing Valentine’s Day it’s been! Different from what I’m used to, but better. Yes, they have flowers and chocolate, but being out in ministry is the best gift. Today we visited Grace and she should be giving birth very soon because she was due last week. I can’t wait until this baby comes! In the mean time I’ve been surrounded by other children and have been having a blast playing and teaching them. Most of the time we don’t have to say or do anything because our presence alone brings a smile to their face, but it’s because of God’s love in us. It’s been an incredible journey so far mixed with many emotions and challenges, but as God stretches me I grow more and more in Him. Since my last post there has been a lot more going on. February started our official ministry, like hospital outreach, prison ministry, schools and community projects. It has been so awesome because this is the reason I’m here. My group first got assigned to Mulago Hospital and Naguru Remand Home. At Naguru there are about 100 boys ages 12-18 and about 5 girls, one of which has a little baby. Most of these kids were tricked into going to the home or kidnapped and brought there, and so some of their parents have no idea where they are. They’re not treated well here but there is nothing they can do about it. When we went we had a lesson planned out and a few games, but 2 of my team members ended up giving their testimonies instead and 20 kids gave their life to Christ! How incredible is that?! And then we played games for the rest of the time there which was really nice because they were all laughing and having fun. Afterwards we went to Mulago Hospital. God is just so incredible because I normally don’t do well in hospitals because I’ll start crying when I see people lying in beds, but I saw things here that I have never seen before in my life and I was absolutely fine. That was all God. He gave me this strength that could only come from him because it was not me in there. I was going around touching and praying for people on my own and I would never in a million years do that! So that was an amazing experience. Then my team has also done Living Hope ministry, which Watoto started for women living with HIV/Aids. Our client has 5 kids and she’s a single mom who lives in the worst condition I’ve experienced  so far. But what amazes me the most about all the people I’ve met is the joy they have. They all have such faith in God and they know he’s their provider. It’s so encouraging and makes me stop and reflect. Ministry can be very challenging at times, especially when you build a personal relationship with the people you’re helping out.  But it’s so beautiful to be part of their lives and bring even the smallest amount of hope and joy to them and their families. So once again thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart for making this possible. Please continue to keep me in prayer. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment